I find the concept of time to be fascinating and difficult to understand. It's always amazed me over the years how as a child it seemed to take forever for an exciting day to arrive. As I grow older it seems that events come way too fast. This concept became very clear when I put up our Christmas countdown.
The "How many days 'til kissmas" countdown was one of my favorites growing up. Last year my mom and I made a few for those who had moved out of the house. There is a candy kiss wrapped in saran wrap and tied up with a bow for every day leading to Christmas. I remember as a kid seeing the countdowns and feeling like Christmas would never come. That chain stretched forever! When I put the countdown up this year I saw the chain stretch below the lamp shade (in the picture below) and I had a slight panic attack. "That's it? Christmas is already that close? I'm not ready for it to be over."
I have learned to appreciate the whole holiday season. To me, Christmas isn't just December 25th it's the whole month. It's the stories we read at night, the nights we spend looking at Christmas lights, the songs we listen to all month long, the time in the kitchen baking special treats, the extra smiles and friendliness of strangers, more love and charity. Most of all it's the constant reminder for a whole month of our Savior and his love for us.
The countdowns are fun because they are a tradition but it is sad to see how quickly time goes by. It has been a constant reminder for me to enjoy each day. There is no better time than today to do the things we love. If we keep putting off activities, to-do lists, saying "I love you" until a more convenient time we will most likely find they never happen. This season is a good reminder to hold close the ones you love and make the most of every day.
On a lighter note, this countdown as been perfect for Preston. He's been so good about not opening the presents but he is constantly asking if he can. When he asks, I remind him we will open presents when all the candy kisses are gone. He seems satisfied with that answer and will occasionally remind me when we get to open presents.


That's adorable. I love it!
ReplyDeleteSereen - Did I know that you blogged? I don't think that I did! Or if I did, my sleepless brain has forgotten. I'm glad that you commented on my blog and I found yours! I'd love to follow along, if that's okay. The "Countdown to Kissmas" idea is so cute. I might have to adopt that.
ReplyDelete