Sunday, February 23, 2014

First time alone with 2

I know I haven't yet announced on here that Sierra was born, I'll get to that later. Until then I can't help but share the glimpse I had of what life may be like for the next little while.

Since having Sierra 6 days ago, today was the first time I have been home by myself with both kids. Jared had to go home teaching and I really didn't think much of the fact that this would be the first time he left me with both kids. No big deal, these are my kids. As he walked out the door I went to nurse Sierra. Not long after I sat down Preston decided he wanted something from the fridge which required climbing the shelves. Some how I managed, while tied to the couch, to get him to close the fridge and go back to his play dough. It didn't take him long to bring the play dough to the family room. After he ignored my calm command to bring it back to the kitchen I tried getting a little more firm which then led to counting. We've used counting often and I've never gotten to three for him to find out what would happen. Apparently he knew I was stuck because he just laughed and walked away. I put Sierra down to go make sure he knew it was not okay to deliberately disobey and laugh at me. When I found that he had gone to put himself in time out my stern mom face was gone and I just busted up laughing. Maybe I need to find new ways to discipline.

After a little talk Preston went back to his play dough at the kitchen table while I went to finish taking care of Sierra. While my back was turned I heard a crash and found that he had knocked over the vase of flowers on the table. We got it cleaned up and I looked at the clock. Only 10 minutes! All that trouble Preston had gotten himself into in the first 10 minutes after Jared had left! Life is going to be so fun. It's a good thing I'm not pregnant so I was able to laugh at it all instead of have an emotional break down.

2 comments:

  1. I heard a tip once to create a box in the fridge specifically full of little snacks toddlers can get for themselves, or that they can bring over to you and you can easily get for them (string cheese, and things of that nature) while you are breastfeeding...maybe that would help Preston and also give him something to focus on while you're feeding Sierra? I look forward to hearing more of your mommy of 2 adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this will just get more and more fun :) I'm excited to hear more about how things are going. Number 2 is going to be a crazy, fun adventure :)

    ReplyDelete