Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Building a testimony at a young age

I love having moments where I realize maybe Preston is getting it. When those moments have to do with the scriptures and prayers it just melts my heart. 

Our ward has so many young kids we have to have more than one nursery. Preston is in the senior nursery with the kids preparing for Sunbeam. This means they spend more time in structured activities and lessons instead of just a mad house of toys. This Sunday Preston came home with a little booklet he colored of the Book of Mormon. All the way home from church he was telling us all about his "Book Mormon" (with a long pause between the two words). 

While we were at the Hart's for dinner that night he saw a blue Book of Mormon and was very excited to read it. I was so grateful to his nursery leaders for actually teaching him. I was also a little ashamed it wasn't me who taught him such a basic fundamental thing. We read scriptures with him each night out of the early scripture readers with pictures but we don't have one of the simple Book of Mormons. I realize now he's more ready to learn than I thought.

Preston continued to carry around his "Book of Mormon" from nursery for the next couple days. While we were running errands Tuesday we stopped by Deseret Book to get him his very own book. The excitement on his face makes being a mom so worth it. He wouldn't let us leave it in the car while we finished our errands.

 

 
 Later that same day Preston was playing with his play dough. I think he pulled out every utensil and tool in the kitchen, at least he came close. He made pancakes, chicken, pizza, bread, cake, snakes, and balls. He even tried to use the BBQ to cook his chicken. When he couldn't get under the cover he decided to use the oven. He placed the play dough on the rack, closed the door, and walked away to wait as it cooked. After cooking chicken he made bread and wanted to pray over it. He asked me to pray with him so we both folded our arms and closed our eyes. We always help him pray but I told him to do it himself this time. His prayer went like this "a bread, bread, bread. Thank thee giraffe. Daddy. Amen." 


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness how precious. I still can't even believe he's talking and running around.

    ReplyDelete