Monday, January 27, 2014

Preston is 2!

This little boy brings us more joy than we could have every comprehended. I don't think anyone can fully understand the love of a parent until they are one. I had know idea I could care about someone as much as I do Jared and Preston.

We kept things pretty simple for his birthday this year but still loved spoiling him on his special day. The night before, we blew up some balloons to scatter in the family room and placed his new bike in the middle of the room covered in a blanket. Before Jared had to go to work we brought Preston down stairs to see his birthday present. He was too excited about the balloons to even care about the blanket covered bike. We finally convinced him to see what it was and he kind of liked it but was still excited about the balloons and the few gifts we had wrapped for later in the evening. We've had the bike for over a month now sitting in our basement. We thought he was young enough that we didn't make too much of an effort to completely hide it whenever he went down there with us. I guess we underestimated his memory and the bike just wasn't that exciting because he thinks he's had it for a while already. 

Since he was so excited about the wrapped gifts we decided he could open them first thing instead of waiting for the evening. It turned out to be a good thing so he could watch Kung Fu Panda throughout the day and save me from being too frustrated with his fussiness. 


 
 This little boy is looking so old. We continue to get comments everywhere we go about how big he is. That's right, he just turned two and he is wearing all 3T clothes (some of which are getting on the small side but I think it's just the brand) and towers over anyone his age. I'm not sure how accurate it is to predict a child's full grown height by doubling their height at the age of two but if it is accurate this boy will grow to be 6'6".
 A couple days before his brithday Preston got a package from his Great Grandma Wade. She made him this blanket and embroidered a giraffe and his name on it. It was perfect timing since he just learned to say giraffe. He loves the blanket! It has even served as a replacement for his special blanket he has to have every time he goes to bed. 

For lunch I invited several friends to join us at McDonalds for some play time away from the house. I wish I would have gotten a picture of everyone who came. We sure felt loved.
Preston loves to play with other kids and is trying to figure out what is socially acceptable when playing with others. He was obsessed with taking happy meal toys from other tables to find it's owner so they could play with him. At least I got him a happy meal for the first time so he had a toy of his own. Otherwise it probably would have been a different reason to take toys.  Just before we left I went to gather Preston and found him in the play area with several other little boys we didn't know, all playing with their happy meal toys together. It made me happy to see the other kids willing to play with him and all of them playing together without adults having to play referee.
 

 Since he can't really request a special dinner I made one that is probably one of his favorites since he can out eat Jared or me whenever we have it. Wheat pancakes with peaches and apple sauce on top and a side of frozen blue berries. I made sausage for Jared and me so we could have a little more Protein. The few times we have had bacon or other meats Preston will take one bite and decide he doesn't want it so I only made one for him. I guess I was wrong. He took one bite of sausage and the rest of the meal was forgotten. Jared and I had to hurry and eat one link before Preston could gobble them all.

 He loves his new bike. The bucket in the back is the perfect bike accessory for a 2 year old who loves to carry toys around everywhere.

 This bag was just as exciting as the monster trucks inside. John and Camrie know him well. A few days later those trucks are still being carried all over the house and have even gone to bed with him. 

Since noticing all the candles at Grandma Heath's house during our Thanksgiving visit Preston has a new love. He is constantly blowing out our scented candles and driving us crazy. Naturally, he was very excited for his very own candles to blow out. He blew them out once and asked for them again. We couldn't resist that sweet boy and lit them again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad we couldn't join you at McDonald's for his birthday lunch! Things have been really crazy around here. Hopefully we'll see you soon! Can't believe Preston is 2...so crazy!

    ReplyDelete