Jared said it best, "when you have no time to blog is when you have the most to blog about." It is certainly ironic that when we have things going on that I want to blog about we are busy doing those things so I don't have time to blog.
Brace yourself for some major catching up this week before I have even more to say. Looking forward it seems that life isn't going to slow down. I'm finally buckling down before I forget the details.
After going a week and a half over due with Preston and having a loooong labor we decided we wanted to induce if Sierra hadn't come by the weekend I was due. We made these wishes known to the doctor from the very first visit. He reassured us at every visit that he wouldn't let me go so late and may even be able to induce a week early. I knew that there was very little chance I would actually be ready to be induced early but he continued to reassure me that this was my second child and my body would be prepared. We hoped he was right but at least took comfort in knowing that no matter what I wouldn't be later than the 14th or 15th.
My due date was coming closer and my doctor started changing his story and being inconsistent in the things he told me at each appointment. The closer my due date came the more anxiety I felt. I had no idea why I felt the anxiety, I was healthy and I knew the baby was healthy, but I didn't feel much confidence in my doctor or the fact that he would be out of town the week before and after my due date. Then the day before I was due my little brother Gideon passed away. Now we had family coming into town and a funeral to consider. I didn't want to be in the hospital the day of the funeral which was scheduled for the 22nd. At this point I had had it emotionally and we needed some answers and comfort. After lots of prayers and a blessing we called my previous OBGYN, who we trusted, to see what he would advise.
I had an appointment with him first thing Monday morning. Our plan was to see what the doctor thought we should do and and as long as he was comfortable with it we felt good about being induced Tuesday morning so I could be at the funeral by Saturday. It was amazing the peace we felt when we saw that doctor. We knew we were in good hands and with a doctor who would be honest and do what was best for me and the baby. He was very supportive and and excited to be able to induce me the next morning. When he called the hospital they said it would be best if I went in that day. February 17th, that sounded like a good birthday to me. Off we went directly from the doctors office to the hospital. We were glad we had put our bags in the car just in case.
I was hooked up to a few IVs and monitors around 9:30 in the morning, just an hour after the start of my doctor appointment. After a couple hours the pitoccin started to kick in and I was making a little progress. By about 1:30 the doctor came in to break my water. Things really started moving at that point. When I felt confident that my labor was in full swing and and moving along smoothly I asked for the epidural. It was only a couple hours later that I started to feel quite nauseous. The nurse checked me and sure enough I was going through transition so she called the doctor. After only 7 hours of labor and 10 minutes of pushing our little girl was here.
I had done this once before and I knew I was having a baby but I was still in such awe when I saw her little head appear. I felt like it was all a dream. When they handed her to me before the chord was cut all I could think to myself was "I have a little baby! this can't be real." In that moment it was like I had gone through pregnancy and now labor just to go through it but forgot that I was actually having a baby.
Sierra Lanae Heath was born February 17th, 2014. 8lb 4oz and 21.5" long. She was the most perfect thing I had seen.

Preston absolutely adores his sister
For the first few weeks he thought she was the funniest thing. Every facial expression or little movement she made got him really laughing.
I was blessed to be feeling so well and to have great nurses who made it possible for us to go home 24 hours after she was born. Life hasn't slowed down since.



I'm glad you were able to deliver with a doctor you trusted! I'm guessing since everything progressed so well you were able to make it to your brother's funeral? At least I'm sure he was able to spend some time with Sierra's spirit before she joined your family!
ReplyDeleteThank for posting this experience Sereen. This echoes the experiences I had with my own two deliveries and it is comforting to me to read about your positive experience. Thank you!
ReplyDelete