Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Shelves (Also Known as the "Jared Did Man Things This Weekend" Post)

It was a good weekend. Sereen and I were fed up with the mess sitting on top of our washer and dryer, and we had said we wanted to put shelves in. It was time.

The only thing was that I had never put shelves in. How hard could it be? (Before you go and think that's some foreshadowing, let me disappoint you now: it's not.) The shelves turned out great, and I had an adventure or two on the side.

So without further ado, here's how to add shelves to your laundry room/closet and make it look wicked cool.

Step 1:

Get really anal about the mess on your washer and dryer.



Step 2:

Clear off the mess, and screw in some 1x4 cleats (didn't know that's what they're called until I talked to my father-in-law, but there you have it) in the wall above.


Step 3: 

Ask Preston to suck on your pliers for you.


Step 4:

Grab some spray paint and randomly graffiti a love note onto your garage wall.


Step 5:

Ask Preston to measure your shelves for you.


Step 6:

Bevel the edge of the cleats to make it look nice and fancy. Use wood glue and a screw to put the side cleat on the wall. Cut (and re-cut and re-cut) your shelves, even when the saw isn't long enough to get through the whole board. Get creative about how to get through the rest of the board, and pray that spackle (sp?) and caulk will fill in your mistakes.


Step 7:

Paint, spackle, and caulk to cover your mistakes (and make it look pretty, too).



Step 8:

Load it all up and enjoy your clean area!


Now I just need to decide if my next project is putting up moulding or finishing the basement... Shoot, if I can do shelves, then I can do anything. Right? ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment